Role of the School Nurse:
1. Provide case management services to students with chronic health needs.
2. Develop nursing care plans.
3. Supervise medication administration.
4. Provide health screening, referral, and follow-up care.
5. Monitor compliance with state immunization laws.
6. Delegate health care for students with special health care needs.
7. Monitor communicable diseases.
8. Train staff on Bloodborne Pathogens, first aid, medication administration, and other health topics as needed.
9. Available to teach health topics to classrooms as requested.
10. Develop and review school health policies and procedures.
11. Promote a healthy school environment.
12. Serve as a liaison between personnel, family, community, and health care providers.
13. Attend workshops and committee meetings to enhance professional development.
14. Complete daily, monthly, bi-annually, and annual local and state reports and documentation.
15. Provide for emergency care of illness and injury.
16. Conduct health promotion programs for staff.
17. Perform limited health assessments of students and make referrals as appropriate.
18. Identify students with special health care needs.
19. Monitor health related absenteeism with a goal to decrease the number of days missed from school.View the complete School Nurse Job DescriptionView the complete Lead School Nurse Job Description